Tuesday, October 5, 2010

... Oops.

So, I suffered what can only be described as a catastrophic collapse of my art goals for the past week, which involved the following:

1. Finish 'Alpha Trinity' -- *FAIL*

2. Finish 'Omega Trinity' (2nd half of the diptych) -- *FAIL*

3. Finish the 24" x 60" seated nude from March/April -- *FAIL*

4. Finish the 2nd half of the Homer diptych -- *FAIL*

5. Frame 'Sunday 9:05' and 'Masonic Gifts' -- *FAIL*

6. Deliver *anything* to Echo Arts for the St. Paul Art Crawl -- *FAIL*


All of these tasks were started, and were the reason for a substantial amount of lost sleep over the past two weeks. #4 was the cause of a two-hour night of sleep the week before, #5 almost cost me my job at Tradewinds, #1 and #2 are a consequence of personal standards and those directly lead to failure #6. Everything was at partly a result of expecting to have seven full days to work before leaving for Montreal on 10/4, but being left with just three (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday). I tend to get asked to work at the least convenient times. In the future I may just request time off before any showing...

I know I'm being a bit rough on myself, but my self-acknowledged failure to achieve those previously established (and admittedly lofty) goals doesn't mean that I regret the choices I made that lead to those 'failures'. As much as I enjoy the reward of pushing myself as an artist, I enjoy good company far more.

My artistic challenge for the next five days is coming up with five absurd hairstyles to test-ride along the streets of Montreal (while not losing my passport in the process). I'm looking forward to returning home and spending a month without deadlines to finish the trinity (both halves, as it's now a full-on diptych rather than 'point and optional counter-point').


No comments: